Fedora Board Recap 2009-12-17 UTC 1700

William Jon McCann william.jon.mccann at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 21:13:17 UTC 2009

Hey Mike,

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 3:29 PM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Dec 2009, William Jon McCann wrote:
>
>> > The whiteboard:
>> >
>> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Desktop/Whiteboards/UpdateExperience
>> >
>> > is almost entirely FESCo or other team based.
>>
>> Exactly, the Chairman of board doesn't seem to agree with that.  I
>
> Ok I've got to say this.  Your deflection tactics have got to stop.  You
> need to let people speak for themselves.  When someone on the call
> disagreed with you yesterday about QA, you said "well will woods thinks
> it's a great idea".  When I think something is for Fesco you say "Well the
> Chairman of the board doesn't seem to agree with that".

No, Spot was suggesting that the QA team may have a problem with the
proposal and I responded that I talked to Will about it at FUDCon and
he seemed to support it.  That seems like a pretty reasonable response
to me.  I also mentioned that Cameron Meadors was one of the people
involved in the earliest discussions.

I'm not speaking for Paul either - he already responded to this issue himself.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2009-December/msg00112.html

> It's not getting you anywhere and bad it's form.  Besides, just because
> someone agrees with you (or me) doesn't make it so.  If you're not alone
> on this, have them come and speak up and be willing to let them do that.
> Otherwise stick to what you think on your own.  When the whiteboard was
> brought up to the FAB in October [1] it was met with complete silence.

People should step forward on their own, I agree.  Similarly I'd like
the folks on the board go on the record and state publicly what parts
of the proposal that they disagree with.  That would help me
understand where the points of disagreement actually are.  Because
those folks didn't bring up specific issues at FUDCon, on the list, or
in the board meeting.

But let's try to turn this into something positive.  For those of us
who would like to see the board give an opinion on this issue - or for
the project as a whole to move in this direction, what does the board
recommend that we do at this point?  I have tried to convey that this
wiki does not only represent my professional recommendation for the
project but an effort to reflect the desires of many other
stakeholders as well.  I'm sorry if this has appeared to be in bad
form.  Even if it was I'm not sure it is productive to focus on that
now.

Thanks,
Jon