"Fedora" in a domain name

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Feb 9 15:20:14 UTC 2009

Hi

[ Please quote properly. Writing under the footer makes your mail almost
invisible to many clients and makes it difficult to quote]

 > Part of my intention for a separate domain is to keep as distinguished
 > as possible from fp.o.  In short, to allow this project to be tested
 > on it's own merits, and also to avoid end user confusion.  A distinct
 > domain, in my opinion, is the best solution for that.  Ultimately, I
 > would welcome this project's full absorption into Fedora project, but
 > in the meantime I would like to remain as independent as possible.
 > Although I trust this would likely not to be the issue, but if the
 > domain is owned by Fedora, what would keep Fedora from shutting us
 > down at will, and forcing us to get a new domain?

This is a very flimsy argument. If you register a domain under a
trademark license from Fedora Project, Fedora can ask you not use the
name anymore at any point and you are back to where you fear you would
be. If this is a serious concern, your domain should simply not contain
Fedora at all.

Rahul