BarCamp scheduler idea for summer coding

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 18:02:28 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 09:35:31AM -0800, Karsten Wade wrote:
> I saw you all had an idea for a BarCamp scheduling app.  It was funny,
> when we were doing the scheduling on that Saturday morning, $someone
> walked out the door muttering to himself, "This is what computers are
> made for."

I'm pretty sure that's the exact comment that prompted the
conversation about an app.  Funny how the lack of painter's tape at
this BarCamp -- my fault, to be sure -- really highlighted the
problem!  That meant we couldn't distribute the cost of arranging the
schedule among so many speakers.  Which maybe exposed the larger
head-scratching, as in "Why do we do it like this at all?"

The BarCamp app was also discussed as part of the need for a better,
more modular conference app that would serve so many communities who
end up writing their own.  Clint Savage, for example, was involved in
writing one of these for UTOS because of the lack of something that
worked the way they needed.  So a better upstream might be called for,
whether a schedule conflict resolver for BarCamp is part of that or
not.  In the spirit of full disclosure, I've done no research on 100%
FOSS conference software.

> If you've got an idea, the Summer coding for 2009 pages are now up:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Summer_coding_ideas_for_2009
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Summer_coding_2009
>
> If you haven't heard, Google's Summer of Code is a go for this year,
> although it is likely to be a bit smaller.  Our ability to get
> student slots is direclty related to the quality of our applications
> and proposals from students.  Giving them good ideas to work from is a
> great place to start.
>
> (More on the GSoC soon; I'm going to be recruiting more Marketing
> help.)

Brilliant, we were saying that this sounded like a great GSoC idea.