Fedora Board Recap 2009-01-20

Greg Dekoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Fri Jan 23 03:14:03 UTC 2009

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009, Greg Dekoenigsberg wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Jan 2009, Mike McGrath wrote:
>
>> How can 13,000+ active community members all lead a single project? Why
>> have a board at all[1]?  I think the community leading was great back when
>> there weren't that many of us but now I really do think it's hurting
>> people.  I'm happy to continue to aid in leading the infrastructure team
>> but where are we going and for what ultimate purpose.
>
> I just look at this thread in a sort of stunned awe.
>
> It wasn't that long ago before we were scrambling to have any community
> invovlement at all.
>
> Now we're trying to figure out how to articulate a coherent vision on behalf
> of 13,000 people -- a number that continues to grow, by the way, despite the
> occasional doubts that we feel about whether we are on the right track.
>
> This is an extremely high-class problem to have.  I'm exceedingly grateful
> that we continue to be relevant enough to have this kind of conversation.

Oh, and an actual opinion, that may or may not be useful to people:

My favorite gin is Hendrick's.

>From their website: "Hendrick’s is an iconoclastically produced small
batch gin distilled in Ayrshire, Scotland. Our unusual distillation
process combined with our oddly delicious set of infusions yields a
one-of-a-kind gin that is passionately loved by a tiny yet growing handful
of individuals all over the world. No other gin tastes like it because no
other gin is made like it."

A frequently seen advertisement: "Hendrick's.  It's not for everybody."

Maybe some see Fedora as elitist.  Maybe that's not such a bad thing.

--g

--
Got an XO that you're not using?  Loan it to a needy developer!
   [[ http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Exchange_Registry ]]