[Fedora-spins] Of test spins and trademarks

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Wed Jul 15 12:56:15 UTC 2009

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 17:00:53 -0500, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 15:41:36 -0600,
>   Kevin Fenzi <kevin at tummy.com> wrote:
>>
>> 1. Is the approval I got a while back for the Xfce spin "good for
>> life" ? Or does it have some expiration date on it?
>
> There is supposed to be a recurring spins process, but it isn't
documented
> yet.

Off the record, since yes, it is not documented (very well or at all);

- all previously approved spins (for Fedora N) go back to status
"Incomplete" or "Development" after Fedora N's General Availability and for
the development cycle of Fedora N+1

- formally, the spin goes through the entire process again, including
"Review by Spins SIG" and including "Trademark approval by Board"

- informally, this means that the board would not need to (re-)approve a
spin's trademark usage, if there's not at all that many changes -after all,
it's mostly tweaking the spin a little further, implementing new features
in the development cycle of Fedora N+1, etc, rather then rebuilding the
spin from the ground up and doing all kinds of nasty changes.

Now, what is considered a major change or what is considered "too many
changes" in order for the recurring trademark approval to need to pass the
board once more, is not set in stone. The Spins SIG obviously has a policy
of "when in doubt, ask board".

As an example, we have the Electronic Labs spin; it's changing it's base
desktop environment from KDE to GNOME (by means of including the
-desktop.ks instead of the -kde.ks).

The Spins SIG at this moment considers this a major change, but since the
basis of the change is still an approved and "permanent" spin, we don't
expect the board to require (re-)approval of the spin's trademark usage.

Does this make sense and if so, does it make sense to document it as such?

If not, what are we overlooking?

>> 3. When changes are made to the spin kickstart, do I need to ask the
>> Board to vet and review them and reapprove the 'new' spin?

I guess the above (or the answers to the above) would also (partly) answer
this question.

-- Jeroen