Redesign of downloads

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 20:28:20 UTC 2009

On 07/31/2009 12:50 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 12:17:35PM -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

>> With Fedora 11 you can browse the web, talk with friends, write novels,
>> run a business, design websites, or write great software.
>>
>> [ Download the Fedora Desktop Edition for a
>>  general purpose desktop. ]

Ugh -- I misformatted this.  The top paragraph should be part of the
download Fedora Desktop Edition.

>> [ Want to develop software?     [ Want to convert a PowerPC
>>   Try out KDE ]                   Mac into something useful?
>>                                   Run Fedora PPC ]
>>
>> [ Show me all preconfigured download options ]
>

> You're missing the targeting part here.  We aren't looking to redesign the
> default download page and keep the exact same content.  We want it simple,
> targeted at new users, and with a clear an easy link for differentiation
> present (to the spins page).

And I'm saying that instead of targeting "new users" we should be
targeting the tasks that the new users want to do.  So if you want the
front page to have two links, one to the default spin and a second to
the spins page, you need to decide what the most important tasks are
that the default spin allows people to perform and make the second link
tell people they can get spins optimized for different tasks by clicking
to the second page.

-Toshio