Succession planning change proposal

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 14:09:23 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 06:36:08PM -0500, inode0 wrote:
> On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 3:47 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Second, I think we also need to fix a couple areas in the text that
> > refer to appointed seats as "Red Hat" seats which is a misnomer.
> > Appointed seats are filled by the FPL, and appointees need not be Red
> > Hat employees.
>
> Are you speaking here of the APPOINTED SEATS section? I still see
> perhaps the old verbiage as it says "The people in these seats are
> appointed by Red Hat ..."
>
> Given the fact that the community freely elects Red Hat employees and
> that the FPL freely appoints community members who are not Red Hat
> employees I think it is past time to de-emphasize the distinction.

You're spot on, that's exactly what I'm trying to do.

> In the Composition section it says "All seats are occupied by Fedora
> community members." This is correct and this is the language I prefer.
> So could we also say that in the blue box at the top of the page
> rather than "The Fedora Project Board is made up of a mix of Red Hat
> employees and Fedora community contributors?"

Actually, I think of Red Hat employees as *part* of the Fedora
community, so really it's made up of a mix of Red Hat employees and
either a group called "other Fedora community contributors," or called
"volunteer contributors."  I would lean toward the former, because I
would bet there are some people out there who contribute to Fedora in
part not as volunteers but paid by some non-Red Hat entity, like a
hypothetical employer who pays for someone to spend 15% of his or her
time on Fedora.

> For the same reasons you give for not liking "Red Hat seats" I object
> slightly to the use of "community seats" in the SCHEDULE section.

Thanks for catching that -- those instances should read "elected
seats."

> In the ORDER OF OPERATIONS section it says "We hold back the final
> appointment so that we can look ..." which suggests it isn't the FPL
> making the decision since that person isn't a "we." Or reword this to
> make clear who this "we" refers to exactly.

Will do.