Why not to create Fedora-us and Fedora-non-us branches?

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 23:31:33 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 12:30:48AM +0400, Alexey Torkhov wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 09:20 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:

> > > I don't need to know the details of the agreement. If any such agreement
> > > exists, it should follow the trademark guidelines that Fedora set for
> > > rest of the community and not be given special exceptions. Can the
> > > Fedora Board look into this?
> >
> > I'm already doing so with Max Spevack.
>
> There was mentioned in thread in ambassadors list that it should be
> actually called "Russian Fedora Remix". And it is officially called
> that. Russian Fedora is just a slang. Sorry for bringing in incorrect
> information.

OK, understood.  As you can see, we need to be careful about referring
to the actual name anywhere you talk about the distribution.
Otherwise there is a substantial risk to the Fedora brand and the
value it holds for the Fedora community, including the trademark owner
Red Hat.

> But they still use slightly modified fedora-logos package. Could you
> clarify logo guidelines about that package. Is it possible to use it
> unmodified in remix? Or all fedora logos should be replaced with fedora
> remix logos?

Modifying the official Fedora logos is not permissible.  But, as noted
in our trademark guidelines, we provide a special Fedora Remix logo
that can be used in any Fedora Remix:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:Trademark_guidelines

It is up to the vendor of the remix to provide an appropriate RPM that
'Provides: system-logos'.

> Using generic-logos package would not be solution here, as, I’m sure,
> they will want to leave as much fedora branding as possible, without
> striping all logos.

It is not permissible to use official Fedora branding on a Remix that
has not been approved by the Fedora Board, or is otherwise not
eligible for that branding.  But the Fedora Remix mark can serve the
purpose you need.  The generic-logos package may not be satisfactory
for you, but you can use it as a guide for applying the Fedora Remix
mark and your own artwork as a "russian-fedora-remix-logos" RPM
package which you can use to build the distro.