recording more metrics and doing more data mining about Fedora

Ian Weller ian at ianweller.org
Thu Jun 18 04:15:41 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 08:01:53PM -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 7:43 PM, Ian Weller<ian at ianweller.org> wrote:
> > The idea that's currently in my head is to create a repository of a
> > bunch of Python scripts that return a specific type of data -- perhaps a
> > count of something over time, etc., that can be called via a specific
> > method and told to generate data, which would then get sucked into
> > whatever visualization backend we find.
>
> My understanding is EKG has been ported to python... you should look
> into that as the basis for mailinglist data mining.
>
> I've been sitting on a python based apache access log parser that Ive
> been meaning to push into fedorahosted git as "EEG"
> It was meant as a pythonic extensible replacement for the map making
> so we can eventually do crap like hook it into the turbogears based
> infrastructure.
> I can punt that over for you and let you run with it and see if you
> can build it up further.

Right now I just want to create the scripts and then the interface that
sits on top of those and runs them and keeps a database of data.
Integration with our infrastructure is beyond what I'm currently
envisioning.

> But honestly TG is way over my head at the monent. What I do my heavy
> analysis lifting with is matplotlib, but that might not be most
> appropriate for scripted Fedora data mining long term...not for
> visualization at least.
>
> You might want to ping luke macken and see how he creates the graphs
> for bodhi's web interface and what the plans are for data
> visualization widgets for Fedora Community.  If he can spin up  simple
> line,bar, and pie graphs widgets that we can plug data into that
> should cover most trending needs.  I'd like a better solution for maps
> than matplotlib that integrates with the TG infrastructure but I don't
> know what that would be.  I'm willing to help implement Fedora
> Community widget sets once someone more experienced than myself points
> me to reasonable candidate visualization toolkits....i know enough
> about matplotlib to know its too heavy of a hammer for this.

I'll look through the code for bodhi. Max and I were talking about
integrating this into Community as well.

--
Ian Weller <ian at ianweller.org>
GnuPG fingerprint:  E51E 0517 7A92 70A2 4226  B050 87ED 7C97 EFA8 4A36