changing content licenses (OPL => CC BY SA)

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Thu Jun 25 15:10:15 UTC 2009

On 06/25/2009 07:06 AM, Robert 'Bob' Jensen wrote:
> ----- "Paul W. Frields" <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
>> IMHO, a move to CC BY-SA is more supportive of Fedora's mission to
>> promote free and interchangeable content, and makes sense.
>>

> Does anyone remember why "CC BY SA" was not chosen over the OPL when we went through all this a few years ago? Is this just all part of the Creative Commons marketing effort? An effort that is failing for me, the idea of a "CC" license is diluted and confused by all the different options. It seems today everyone has to have a (CC) license, soon to become the "Members Only" jacket of the early 80's?

If memory serves, we originally inherited the OPL from Red Hat when
Fedora came into existence. The OPL isn't really a great documentation
license, IMHO, and changing to CC-BY-SA, which is more broadly accepted
and understood by the larger community is a benefit to us.

AFAIK, no one from the Creative Commons has asked us to make this change.

~spot