requesting a trademark license for our community

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 16:42:57 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 04:12:48PM -0500, Paul Frields wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 6:04 PM, Mostafa Daneshvar
> <mostafa.daneshvar at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear Board;
> > We, as Iranian community, want your permission to use
> > "fedoraproject.ir".One of our members registered it without considering
> > related regulations mentioned in
> > "http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal/".
> > within these few months this community attracted a lot of users,nearly
> > 510 registered. According to logs our   website approximately has 5000
> > pages view each day. Our forum has 5500 posts (up to now).
> > Considering our efforts within this time, we need your license to
> > continue our efforts. We need to grant us to use Fedora logo in our
> > website.
> >
> > We should be thankful for your immediate response
>
> Thank you for you email -- we're looking into this now, and will get
> back to you as soon as we can.

As you may know, US federal law currently places sweeping restrictions
on US citizens' and corporations' ability to transact with certain
people, organizations, and nations.  The list of embargoed nations
includes Cuba, Iran, Libya, and North Korea, among others.

The "Fedora" trademarks are regsitered worldwide to Red Hat, Inc.,
which administers them on behalf of the Fedora community.  Because Red
Hat is a US-based company, it must adhere to the restrictions imposed
by US law.  Therefore, we cannot grant a trademark license for the use
of "Fedora" in your domain name, nor for use of the Fedora logo or
other trademarks.

I noted from your email that one of your community members registered
the "fedoraproject.ir" domain.  I'll send you a further email to
discuss this issue.

I sincerely regret not being able to accommodate your request.

Paul W. Frields
Fedora Project Leader