Trademark request: Fedora Electronic Lab

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 13:29:24 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 09:01:37PM -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 11:36:26PM +0100, Chitlesh GOORAH wrote:
> > For the fourth consecutive fedora releases, I'm requesting Fedora
> > Board the permission to use Fedora trademark and Fedora Logos with
> > respect to the work done behind Fedora Electronic Lab.
[...snip...]

> Thanks for contacting us Chitlesh -- I've reminded the Spins SIG to
> give us word on their approval by tomorrow's Board meeting at 1900
> UTC, so the Board can take an approval vote at its meeting.

Chitlesh,

Sorry to reply to myself, but I did have another thought about this
process.  Historically I don't think the Board has re-voted on every
Spin for every release.  I asked the Spins SIG to look at whether
the Board really needs to revisit their approval every release:

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/fedora-spins/2009-March/000476.html

What I'd recommend is that unless there are major changes to Spin
behavior relative to either the previous release of that Spin or to
the standard release of Fedora, the Board's approval can stand for
more than one release.  The Board would ask the Spins SIG to bring any
such changes to our attention for approval by Feature Freeze.

In this case, the Board would be happy to revisit the approval of the
FEL Spin, pending the Spins SIG's approval, just to ensure there is no
confusion about the FEL's official status.  I think the Board's
attitude has been that trademark approvals can survive multiple
releases, unless substantial changes occur between our standard
release and a particular custom Spin.  This streamlines the process
somewhat and lessens the burden on the Spins SIG, the Spins Wrangler,
and the Spin submitter.