Fedora's LWN subscription

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 16:41:22 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 9:30 AM, Max Spevack <mspevack at redhat.com> wrote:
> Just over a year ago, we[1] purchased a group subscription to LWN for 75
> accounts.  The purpose of these accounts was to ensure that Fedora
> contributors who might otherwise not have access to LWN's premium material
> would have the ability to access it.
>
> We just renewed the subscription, and this seems like a good time to clean
> it up.
>
> We have been using 73 of the 75 accounts.  Of those 73, there are 18 who
> have not logged in since September 1, 2008 (just over 6 months).
>
> As the administrator of the subscription, I'd like to propose the following:
>
> * remove those people's subscriptions, giving us 20 total subscriptions free
> to allocate.
>
> * advertise on Planet and fedora-announce-list to see if there are new
> Fedora folks in the past year who would like a subscription, and distribute
> them.
>
> I'd like to be fair about distribution, so I was thinking to set up a wiki
> page where people could request a subscription, and give it a deadline.
>  Once the deadline hits, have a little lottery if there are more requests
> than there are open subscriptions.
>
> Repeat every 6 months.
>
> Thoughts, comments, or objections?

My main thought is thank you. I really appreciate my subscription, and
have tried to use it everyday (and every Thursday when the weekly
paper goes out.) Being able to keep up with LWN has been my best way
to keep up with whats going on outside of my little window of academia
and has made sure I am aware of changes occuring in the Linux world.

Again thank you.
Stephen

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux