Elections, Accountability, and Education

Jon Stanley jonstanley at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 00:44:13 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 10:14 AM, inode0 <inode0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> And that general request I'd like to make to the steering committees
> and other parts of the project too. Ask yourself if there is something
> more you could do to increase the degree of transparency in the doing
> of your Fedora business.

When I took over as chair of FESCo, I started using our trac instance
(https://fedorahosted.org/fesco) for meeting planning. This had two
advantages:

1) It makes my life sane
2) It increases transparency of what we do.

At any time, you can tell what's before us at the next meeting by
going to https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/report/9 (though I must admit
it's not as updated as it could be at times - though right now it's
perfect).

Aside from that, all of our meetings are held in public, and most (I
say most because there's the occasional thing that can't be - often
related to a specific individual's conduct, etc) of our business is
transacted in public.

For full disclosure, there is one class of business that we take on
that is deliberated in private and voted on in public, and should
continue in this way - sponsor nominations (and now provenpackager
requests - essentially the same process gets followed). However, the
scope of the individuals involved in the deliberations are wider than
just FESCo - it extends to all current sponsors. The reason for
private deliberation is that we don't want any hard feelings, etc when
negative information has to be discussed, and the free flow of
information in making that decision is essential.