Elections, Accountability, and Education

Dimitris Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Wed Mar 18 08:50:34 UTC 2009

2009/3/17 Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com>:
> On Tue, 2009-03-17 at 13:40 -0500, inode0 wrote:
>>
>> FESCo seems to manage to do most of its business and I believe all of
>> its voting in public. So I'm not getting the sense that adding some
>> inefficiency and inconvenience to the board in the conduct of some
>> part of its business is so insurmountable an obstacle.
>>
>> How strongly do we believe in transparent governance? Opting out when
>> there is a legal or sensitive issue is one thing, opting out because
>> being transparent is more inconvenient than the alternative is
>> another.
>
> There is a difference here.  The board constantly deals with things of a
> nature that can't be made public at the time of the board meeting.
> FESCo /never/ has that, as whenever it runs into a legal issue, it gets
> bounced up to the board (or just fedora legal directly).
>
> We are going to make a concerted effort to provide more visibility into
> the non-sensitive matters that are discussed at board meetings, but
> we'll continue to do the meetings in a phone manner due to the high
> bandwidth and better feel for what is being said.

I'm thinking that it would be perfectly reasonable to actually have
our IRC clients open on #fedora-board-meeting in _every_ meeting and
board memebers randomly transcribing the important bits of the
meeting, others filling up. I'm pretty sure we can handle this, since
always only one person is talking at the same time.

In these bits we could include the votes too.

-δ

--
Dimitris Glezos
http://dimitris.glezos.com/