Fedora 11 Beta Release Readiness Meeting

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Wed Mar 18 18:13:25 UTC 2009

Fedora 11 Beta Release Readiness Meeting
2009-03-18
Notes recorded collaboratively by all attendees using gobby

== Invitees ==

Ambassadors -- David Nalley (present)
Artwork/Design -- Máirín Duffy (present)
Documentation -- Eric Christensen (present)
FESCo -- Jon Stanley (present)
Fedora Engineering Manager -- Tom "Spot" Callaway (present)
Fedora Project Leader -- Paul Frields (present)
Infrastructure -- Mike McGrath (present)
Marketing -- Jack Aboutboul (present)
Quality -- James Laska (present)
Release Engineering -- Jesse Keating (present)
Translation -- Diego Búrigo Zacarão (present)
Websites -- Ricky Zhou (present)

Facilitator -- John Poelstra (present)

== Agenda/Notes ==

1) Are there any known reasons we will not be able to release on
Tuesday, March 24, 2009?
   --if "yes," what are our contingency plans?
   * Waiting on a "known good" anaconda for the beta tree
   * Last possible date for a good anaconda is tomorrow (2009-03-18)
otherwise release will have to slip
   ** Need communicate (if necessary) with FESCo before their meeting
   * Anaconda storage rewrite still landing code as of yesterday
   ** Upstream release didn't quite make Wed 2009-03-18 Rawhide
   ** Need a good idea of what's known not working, and what's thought
to be properly working so we can compare with Rawhide and Beta
   ** We have ~1 day to get a good sense of which bugs need to be
addressed, and get test results on outstanding areas
   ** Add to the release notes or "known bugs" section as issues are
found--easy to remove if they are solved later
   ** Jesse to contact anaconda team
   ** jlaska: Mixed feelings on whether we can do that by COB tomorrow
   * FESCo covered ext4 at last week's meeting
   ** Eric Sandeen thinks it's good to go
   ** some apps still requiring FS to play nanny

2) Discuss or announce topics or issues that all of the teams on the
call would benefit from knowing about.
  * Marketing talking points are ready
  	https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F11_Talking_Points
  * News distribution network
    	https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing_news_distribution_network
  * Look into potential translation issues
  ** Jack will send email to fedora-marketing-list at redhat.com
  ** Diego will followup and see what can be done
  * Art team needs a slogan from Marketing to integrate into the release
(GA) banner/website
  * sparks: Release notes
	https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_11_Beta_release_notes
  ** need more details on network changes
  ** Jack is going to give a look and see what other things can be added
  * Infrastructure tickets -
https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/report/9
  ** Everything in good shape... working on some low risk behind the
scenes changes like disk space, etc.
  * Ambassadors in good shape, though work (??) is light at this point
in the release cycle
  ** will increase as we get closer to the final release
  * Websites only one page (+ 1 banner) to change so looking good
  * Kind, fair, polite critique of the new F11 background artwork would
be greatly appreciated
  * Docs team will create the release announcement and would like input
from the marketing team
  ** Sparks will steal from last Beta release.
(http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2008-September/msg00016.html)

3) What things should we be planning for now that we have not previously
discussed that will make the final release of Fedora 11 better than any
past release?
  * Spot: Most of the things that can be done will mostly need to happen
after beta--testing of release, etc.
  * Spot/Jlaska: Good list of test days coming up--best we've had so far
(https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Test_Days/F11)
  ** Two open slots (2009-05-07 and 2009-05-21) - no objections to
hosting events on other days than Thursday
  ** To propose a test day ...
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Test_Days/Create
  * Jon Stanley: Can we make the audio from these meetings more widely
available to community as discussed at the F11 Alpha meeting?
  ** John Poelstra had requested ability after last meeting in
infrastructure ticket:
  ** John to talk with Mike after the meeting