Planning for Fedora Elections

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu May 7 16:48:50 UTC 2009

On 07.05.2009 18:20, Matt Domsch wrote:
> I'd like to start the planning process for the next round of Fedora
> elections.  [...]

Thx for your work!

> Schedule (Proposed)
>
>      * Nominations are open from 15 May through 12 June, 2009.
>      * IRC Town Hall-style discussions with candidates for the various
>        positions will be arranged for 14 June through 20 June.
>      * The elections will take place 22 June through 6 July, 2008.
>
> I'd like to hear your thoughts on the above, and how to make this an
> engaging and effective election cycle.

I (as a voter) have neither time nor interest for IRC meetings if there
is no strong reason to participate. Same for skimming through the IRC
logs later, as that in my experience is often way more confusing then
helpful.

IOW: IRC IMHO has a bad time/benefit ratio if what is being discussed is
not really important for you.

Sure, IRC has a lot of benefits, but mail has as well, that's why I
suggest to let a some people(¹) collect a few good questions with the
help of the community. Then send them to the nominees that have to
answer then within something like 3 or 4 days in private. Then put all
the answers up on the net and give people a chance to read them.

After that do the IRC Town Hall-style discussions for those that like
then, They actually might be easier, as people can ask question like
"you said foo to the answer bar in the pre-questioning by mail; could
you please outline that a bit more into in regards to foobar?", which in
the end might lead to a better IRC Town Hall-style discussion.

Just my 2 cent.

Cu
knurd

(¹) yes, I'm willing to help with that if nobody else wants to do that