Planning for Fedora Elections

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri May 8 22:29:32 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 11:20:00AM -0500, Matt Domsch wrote:
> I'd like to start the planning process for the next round of Fedora
> elections.  These are traditionally held a short time after the
> release of the Fedora distribution, therefore nominations must begin
> in the next week or so, culminating in elections in late June and into
> the first week in July.
>
> The first question is: what groups need to participate in the election
> this round?
>
> * I know the Board will have 3 seats opening, those held currently by
>   Jesse Keating, Seth Vidal, and Tom Callaway.

The Board also has two appointed seats opening, one held by Chris
Tyler and one by Harald Hoyer.  As in previous election terms, the
intent is to appoint a new Board member to fill one of these seats
before elections, and then appoint the other afterward in an effort to
achieve a good balance in the Board's membership.

> * I believe that FESCo has 5 seats opening.
>
> * I believe that FAMSCo is not needing to elect anyone, having filled
>   all their seats in December 2008.
>
> Second, I have placed a proposed schedule which is merely my own
> guesswork for how long this should take.  I'm very open to hearing
> your opinions for shorter or longer durations.
>
> (Canonical proposal is https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Elections )
>
> Schedule (Proposed)
>
>     * Nominations are open from 15 May through 12 June, 2009.
>     * IRC Town Hall-style discussions with candidates for the various
>       positions will be arranged for 14 June through 20 June.
>     * The elections will take place 22 June through 6 July, 2008.
>
> I'd like to hear your thoughts on the above, and how to make this an
> engaging and effective election cycle.

Matt, thank you for posting this -- I would also like to add a target
date for a first Board appointment of 11 June, and the second by 9
July.