[Ambassadors] Re: Free Media Issues

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Fri May 8 23:10:03 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 5:22 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> The Fedora Project is treated as any US entity or person by US law.
> US law includes embargoes and other regulations that place severe
> restrictions on the export of certain types of materials, including
> some of the software found in Fedora, to specific nations.  (Other
> general restrictions exist which probably apply to Fedora as well.)
> These nations are Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Libya, Sudan, and Syria.
> Therefore, we're strictly forbidden from exporting Fedora to those
> nations, or from aiding in their transference.  For example, we cannot
> accept requests to ship media to those nations under any part of the
> Fedora Project.

Ok, with respect to distribution of media this is pretty clear.
Although there is always this parenthetical "other restrictions" that
remains a mystery to me. What are those restrictions? How do they
apply to other areas of the Fedora Project?

For example, in the Q1 events I see an event in Sudan.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraEvents#FY10_Q1_.28March_2009_-_May_2009.29_3

What are Fedora representatives allowed to do at an event in one of
these nations?

My biggest question remains this. How can ambassadors know what they
are allowed to do to help contributors from these nations to
participate in the Fedora Project?

John