Proposal for ML conduct

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Mon May 18 14:35:45 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 9:17 AM, Lyos Gemini Norezel
<lyos.gemininorezel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Paul W. Frields wrote:
>
> Let me see if I can clarify a bit here.  Your rights in the USA are
> meant to be guarantees against the *government* stopping you from
> speaking.  Not private entities.
>
> True.

Only to a point. Your natural rights, which are inalienable and
universal, including liberty are not conferred on you by any
government. The Fedora Project can quash your speech if it so chooses
without violating your legal rights in the USA, but one can still
argue with some merit that it violates your natural rights.

Regardless, I think we should let this effort run its course for a
while and see how it works out. There is no certainty anyone is going
to be prevented from making any point they desire to make, they might
be asked to make their points in a more civil and respectful way.
There is certainly some cost to going down this road, but there is
some cost in not doing anything as well. We have a board to try to
negotiate these sorts of murky waters on our behalf, and I'm sure if
it doesn't work out well appropriate remedial action will be taken.

John