Proposal for ML conduct

Luis Villa luis.villa at gmail.com
Mon May 18 14:46:59 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 10:35 AM, inode0 <inode0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 9:17 AM, Lyos Gemini Norezel
> <lyos.gemininorezel at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Paul W. Frields wrote:
>>
>> Let me see if I can clarify a bit here.  Your rights in the USA are
>> meant to be guarantees against the *government* stopping you from
>> speaking.  Not private entities.
>>
>> True.
>
> Only to a point. Your natural rights, which are inalienable and
> universal, including liberty are not conferred on you by any
> government. The Fedora Project can quash your speech if it so chooses
> without violating your legal rights in the USA, but one can still
> argue with some merit that it violates your natural rights.

You have no natural rights to enter someone else's creative community
and speak as you please, any more than you have natural rights to
enter someone's home and speak as you please. (Really, don't get me
started on this topic; I've got a degree in political philosophy and
am not afraid to use it ;) We have built/are building this community
in order to get things done; no one has any 'right' on any level to
disrupt that, and we should be very skeptical of anyone who thinks
they do.

Luis