Be excellent - answer questions

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue May 19 23:26:51 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 10:14:30PM +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 19.05.2009, 12:08 -0400 schrieb Paul W. Frields:
> > FUD -- if it was intentional and designed to hurt the Fedora Project
> > -- would fall under the trademark guidelines' non-disparagement
> > clause, I believe.
>
> Where is this non-disagreement clause? I can't find anything at
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal/TrademarkGuidelines
> Following this discussion I was under the impression that paragraph
> 5.1 "Noncommercial and community web sites" was all that a site at
> fc.org would have to follow. Did I oversee something?

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal/TrademarkGuidelines#Usage_That_Does_Not_Require_Permission

That's the set of guidelines that apply to all trademark usage that
does not require prior permission, such as displaying the logo on a
community site.  Quoting in part:

'''
In all cases, use is permitted only provided that:
[...snip...]
* the use is not disparaging to Red Hat, the Fedora Project or their
products
'''

> > What other sorts of problems do you envision would
> > arise about which we should be concerned?
>
> Substantial disagreements. What if a community and the board can't find
> consensus?

Again, what kind of substantial disagreement do you imagine that
wouldn't fall under the trademark guidelines?  I'm sorry if I sound
like I'm being difficult, I don't mean to be.  Maybe my imagination is
limited.

> Or using flags for example, because this topic has just been raised.
> Would the Taiwanese community be allowed to use their country's flag?

I think the topic to which you're referring is about carrying national
flags in the distribution, not as part of the content of a community
controlled web site.  I don't see an issue here.