Fedora 11 GA Release Readiness Meeting Recap 2009-05-27

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Wed May 27 18:19:43 UTC 2009

Fedora 11 GA Release Readiness Meeting
2009-05-27

Ambassadors -- David Nalley(present)
Design -- Máirín Duffy (present)
Documentation -- Eric Christensen (present)
FESCo -- Dennis Gilmore (present)
Fedora Engineering Manager -- Tom "Spot" Callaway (present)
Fedora Project Leader -- Paul Frields (present)
Infrastructure -- Mike McGrath (present)
Marketing -- Jack Aboutboul (in the house)
Quality -- James Laska (present) & Adam Williamson (present)
Release Engineering -- Jesse Keating (present)
Translation -- Diego Búrigo Zacarão
Websites -- Ricky Zhou

Facilitator -- John Poelstra (present)

== Agenda ==

1) Are the bits ready?  Is next Tuesday a solid date?

2) Round table with all teams

3) <insert Your topic>

= Overall Status =

== Documentation ==
o Release notes are in good shape
o Announcement work is in progress--will wrap up at tonight's meeting
(01:00 UTC Thursday)
   --could use a review by marketing
o Work on guides continues and should be ready soon
   --install guide and security security guide, user guide
   --publishing on docs.fedoraproject.org
   --How are we advertising that the guides are available?
     --help.fedoraproject.org has links
     --some personal blog posts on planet would help too
   --We do not have any explicit dates on the schedule for pushing the
guides to docs.fedoraproject.org
     --best target is the night before release day or earlier is best
given cvs processes that have to run
     --John will work with Eric on the Fedora 12 schedule
o Need to have Documentation on the website stay at the final target, so
that links to docs.fp.o don't need to change on release day
   --This is the plan in the future, release-notes were just missed
through accident

== Marketing ==
o Jack has everything done so will be ready for docs meeting tonight
o Coordinating content
o Release announcement needs to be translated
   --How should this be coordinated... by the docs team or directly with
the translation team
   -- Jack will have the next cut at the announcement finished by
~3:30pm today, so others can check it over.  Then Docs will review this
evening during their meeting.
   --In general we do not translate... because the idiomatic first
section doesn't tend to translate well.  It's not forbidden by any
means, just not required.
     --If we want to change this we should rework the Fedora 12 schedule

== Ambassadors ==
o In good shape overall
o Waiting for release announcement
o DVD/media sleeve art is done and at the printers

== Design Team ==
o Everything good to go
o Banner artwork is done and coordinated with with websites team
o Test is available at publictest1

== State of the Bits ==
o QA, Releng, FESCo
o Working on a few specific bugs
   -- bug 502007 (kernel kms)
      --could impact the timeliness of the release
      --working on tracking down hardware
      --bug contains details on recreating problem, fix proposed
      --need extra testing, anyone with an Intel 865G needed to see if
they can (1) reproduce error, and (2) resolve it using info in the bug
      --https://bugzilla.redhat.com/502007
   -- bug 498553 (anaconda fs create error)
      --would probably not hold the release for
o We must have a release candidate composed tonight so that people can
look at tomorrow
o Only 1 day available for verification of MODIFIED bugs and retesting
release candidate media
   -- QA will continue testing after content sync's to mirrors and
escalate any defects for review as needed
   -- Test result matrix -
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Fedora_11_RC_Install_Test_Results
   -- Blocker bugs (by component) - http://tinyurl.com/pqeq6n
o If the release is not available to the mirrors on Thursday, then the
release would have to slip
   --check with Jesse first thing Friday morning or last Thursday night

== Infrastructure ==
o All good to go
o Working on some performance improvements behind the scenes that have
made wiki faster