"What is the Fedora Project?"

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Thu Oct 8 15:29:26 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 9:40 AM, inode0 <inode0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm still struggling to understand what sorts of real problems are
> made easier to solve by the "What is Fedora?" framework.

Unless a clear mission and purpose is defined, Fedora will just kind
of float along pushed around by whatever currents are strongest at the
moment.  Maybe that sort of philosophy suits you, but I'd rather have
an idea of where we're headed.

> Is it in the board's purview to "lead" the project by singling out
> technologies it wants to move along over the next few releases?

Yes.  Fedora has limited resources. That means that someone needs to
prioritize the use of those resources.  As a corollary to that it may
mean that some projects/ideas may be denied resources.

> Are there structural problems within the project that this would help?

Fedora can't be everything to everyone, and if anyone in the project
thinks we can, I would call that a structural problem.

> Being honest, I am concerned it could be used to broaden the board's
> involvement in areas of the project where delegation of responsibility
> already seems to exist.

Technically, it's the board that delegated the responsibility in the
first place.  If they feel it's best to un-delegate the responsibility
that's up to them.

--
Jeff Ollie