"What is the Fedora Project?"

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 8 15:59:14 UTC 2009

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:

> Hmm true.  When the project is composed of mostly volunteers, no one
> can really allocate manpower resources like you could in a business.
> But what about the other resources available to the Fedora Project,
> like the servers that run the infrastructure and the money given to
> the project by Red Hat?  Aren't those under the ultimate control of
> the board?  If a developer or other project member starts going off in
> a direction that the board feels is detrimental to the project can't
> they deny him/her access to those resources?
>
> Hopefully controlling developers though such a negative method is
> never necessary.  Hopefully the board would be able to persuade
> developers that the board's vision is the correct one and would then
> work together with everyone else to accomplish that vision.

the developers work for their manager. Ie: I work for Tom. So Does Mike
and a lot of folks on the fedora team. But the desktop team developers
work for Jonathan. So a different set of people in charge.

The board has no hiearchical control over either Tom or Jonathan so
directing them to direct their people to do something or to NOT do
something is not within the purview of the board as I understand it.

-sv

ps: all of this is only in my understanding of the way the org-charts
work. If someone else wants to correct me on this they are most likely right.