"What is the Fedora Project?"

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Thu Oct 8 17:43:34 UTC 2009

On 10/08/2009 01:36 PM, Mike McGrath wrote:
> So, given the opportunity to talk to them directly, what would you
> possibly say that would change their mind?

Quoting myself:

I think the thing that leaves me unsettled is that all of this seems to
stem from the fact that some new users are not having a great experience
with Fedora, and rather than analyze that problem and work on usability
improvements, we are choosing to let those users go somewhere else,
whether that is Mac OSX or Ubuntu or Windows. I think that such a
decision is terribly short-sighted, and will result in a long-term loss
of contributors, community, and possibly the eventual irrelevance of Fedora.

*****

To answer your specific question Mike, I wouldn't try to change their
mind. What I would do is try to figure out what they liked about Windows
and what they didn't like about Fedora. And if it turns out that there
isn't a Fedora Spin currently available that is a good fit for them,
then I'd either work towards making one that was, or wait and see if the
community came up with a Spin that was a good fit for them.

Being blunt: It doesn't bother me that my wife uses Windows.
It would bother me a lot if the Board decides that Fedora will never be
for her. It wouldn't bother me at all if the Desktop SIG decides that
their Fedora spin isn't for her, because I could always start a "Fedora
Simple" SIG that worked towards a Fedora Spin that would be a good fit
for her.

~spot