Fedora 14 (two releases away folks) Feature proposal

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 19:36:15 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 02:33:35PM -0400, Seth Vidal wrote:
> Apropos (in a tangential way) our discussion today. And as a result of
> some irc-discussions:
>
>  Since the board  defines which spin is the default spin then I suggest
> the board Make the kde or xfce spin the default spin for F14.
>
> It won't hurt users upgrading b/c they are just upgrading.
> And users reinstalling are reinstalling.
>
> It makes it clear that the spins process is serious and f'real and it
> will test how well our processes work.
>
> And if we have stunning success then the board re-evals the default spin
> again.
>
> thoughts?

I like the daring of this plan.  I think it has the potential to improve
Fedora quite a lot.  However, I think it has more potential to improve
Fedora through finding all the points of failure when we do this than in
having a rousing success.  For instance, GNOME and KDE use several of the
same libraries under the hood.  What conflicts does this cause if we have
to/have to not upgrade a library due to version conflicts?  Finding those
sorts of pain points and figuring ways to mitigate them in the future will
be more valuable than finding out that the KDE spin is more popular than the
GNOME spin or vice versa.

And to go along with this, I expect that we'll find lots of pain points if
we do this.  So we need to be prepared to deal with them expeditiously when
they crop up (otherwise meeting our 6 month timetable will be hard) and at
the same time revist any of the solutions that are contentious once we have
time after the release.

-Toshio