Fedora 14 (two releases away folks) Feature proposal

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 8 19:43:33 UTC 2009

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> I like the daring of this plan.  I think it has the potential to improve
> Fedora quite a lot.  However, I think it has more potential to improve
> Fedora through finding all the points of failure when we do this than in
> having a rousing success.  For instance, GNOME and KDE use several of the
> same libraries under the hood.  What conflicts does this cause if we have
> to/have to not upgrade a library due to version conflicts?  Finding those
> sorts of pain points and figuring ways to mitigate them in the future will
> be more valuable than finding out that the KDE spin is more popular than the
> GNOME spin or vice versa.

I wasn't concerned with popularity - just how well things would function

> And to go along with this, I expect that we'll find lots of pain points if
> we do this.  So we need to be prepared to deal with them expeditiously when
> they crop up (otherwise meeting our 6 month timetable will be hard) and at
> the same time revist any of the solutions that are contentious once we have
> time after the release.

the pain points are exactly why I am interested, too. We went through this
process when anaconda switched away from the hdrlist and then to the
various repository formats. Changing things which _should_ be
interchangeable frequently points up all the ways they are not _really_
interchangeable.

-sv