Fedora 14 (two releases away folks) Feature proposal

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 06:02:05 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 05:07:02PM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Seth Vidal (skvidal at fedoraproject.org) said:
> >  Since the board  defines which spin is the default spin then I
> > suggest the board Make the kde or xfce spin the default spin for
> > F14.
> >
> > It won't hurt users upgrading b/c they are just upgrading.
> > And users reinstalling are reinstalling.
> >
> > It makes it clear that the spins process is serious and f'real and
> > it will test how well our processes work.
> >
> > And if we have stunning success then the board re-evals the default
> > spin again.
> >
> > thoughts?
>
> I think performing an experiment that switches all the defaults,
> invalidates the docs, walkthroughs, etc. and associated community
> knowledge is a *really bad idea* if we're trying to provide any sort
> of consistent user experience.

I agree.  I don't see how this gets us closer to a more deliberate
approach to dealing with any target audience.  It makes the Fedora
distribution a zigzag that confuses and then loses audience.

What makes the spins process f'real is the fact that communities who
care about those spins are able to gather effort around them, produce
them, and have them hosted on Fedora Project infrastructure, and
promote them to whatever extent they like.  As a thought experiment
this is arguably worthwhile, but it would fail with the audience on
which the other current FAB conversation is converging.