Desktop Proposal

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Mon Oct 12 21:45:50 UTC 2009

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009, Jesse Keating wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-10-12 at 10:44 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> > > This comes down to project vs product.  Your proposed mission change is
> > > a great mission for the desktop spin product.  Not so great for the
> > > Fedora project as a whole.
> > >

> > Peoples complaint is with the Fedora product, adding this mission
> > statement brings additional focus to that.
> >
> > > Our Project has a wide and broad mission that manifests itself into
> > > various products.  One of the products is the Desktop spin which
> > > absolutely should have a more concise mission statement, one that more
> > > closely relates to an individuals needs and concerns.
> > >

> > Take the word 'spin' off of there.  The 'spins' aren't nearly as useful as
> > we think they are.  I can install a desktop without a 'spin' and it's
> > still not as stable as it could be.
> >

> You can install a desktop without a spin because we allow people to do
> installs from the giant pile of packages and to choose their own
> adventure.
>
> Whether you call it a "spin" or a 'product' or an 'offering', the
> specific grouping that we use to make up the Fedora Desktop is the first
> and foremost offering and one that has a specific mission statement.
> That shouldn't prevent another spin or product or offering from having a
> different, even conflicting mission statement.  All should fit within
> the global Fedora /Project/ mission statement.  Contributors care about
> the project mission statement, and to some degree a product or two.  End
> users would care mostly about the product mission statement, maybe later
> care about the project mission statement.

That's kind of my point.  Our project mission statement makes no
indication of what we actually do or that we even have a product at all.
Being involved in Fedora it seems fairly obvious to me that one of the
things the Fedora Project does is produce the Fedora OS product.  I picked
desktop specifically because that seems to be overwhelmingly what people
are looking for.

	-Mike