Desktop Proposal

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Oct 12 22:16:45 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-12 at 16:45 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> That's kind of my point.  Our project mission statement makes no
> indication of what we actually do or that we even have a product at all.
> Being involved in Fedora it seems fairly obvious to me that one of the
> things the Fedora Project does is produce the Fedora OS product.  I picked
> desktop specifically because that seems to be overwhelmingly what people
> are looking for.

What "people" though?  If we're concerned about new users finding Fedora
and thinking they would like to use our distro, pointing them to
our /project/ mission statement is entirely wrong.  Pointing them to
the /product/ page for a Desktop spin, or KDE spin, or Education spin is
entirely right.

If we're talking about contributors, then the product page isn't quite
for them.  The project page is more about why we are doing these things,
why we are producing the various products and what purpose the entire
thing serves.

Simply put, the Project page should not be the landing page for users.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!