"What is the Fedora Project?"

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 01:16:37 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 1:00 PM, Tim Burke <tburke at redhat.com> wrote:
> Máirín Duffy wrote:
>>

>> - The clients she refers to are highly-technical users, running advanced
>> scientific projects and in some cases military operations. They're not
>> highly technical in terms of being intimately familiar with the inner
>> workings of Linux, they're highly technical in their domains which are
>> complex. They have PhDs in meterology or advanced medical and aeronautics
>> degrees. And they want the distro they work with to just work - they can't
>> deal with the instability we've introduced over the past two years and have
>> started going elsewhere. The suggestion elsewhere in the thread that one
>> should be required to have a 'drivers license' to run a distro she related
>> to requiring a kernel hacker to interpret the results of a medical exam - a
>> highly technical person just not in their field of expertise.
>>
> sounds like RHEL

Where Fedora was useful to various laboratories and schools was that
it was considered RHEL leet. It would have newer stuff but it had
credibility of being stable. If they needed a newer version of say
XFDEbird they could go get it from rawhide or the next release. They
wouldn't have it pushed on them in the middle of a release (well not
normally). Basically it is becoming easier and easier for them to
switch to another OS that they feel will be more stable
--
Stephen J Smoogen.

-- Robert Browning