"What is the Fedora Project?"

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 17:46:00 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 11:29:36AM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> inode0 (inode0 at gmail.com) said:
> > But I've been running Fedora as my primary desktop from F7 on and it
> > has been plenty stable for me to do my work. So I think Jeff is right,
> > it would be really nice to know more about the work they are doing
> > that exposes this "instability."
>
> So, I have a user I support that has been running Fedora as a desktop
> for many years now. I went for a couple of years without hearing any
> complaints aside from an OO.o bug. However, on upgrading to F-11 (from
> F-9), I hear about:
>
> - graphics artifacts on unblanking the display
> - constant wireless dropouts
> - odd behaviors in firefox
>
> This may be constrained to F-11 being not one of our better releases,
> but it's still not good if it's a trend.

Which is exactly why I feel that we would be better served making a
better division between Rawhide and the stable releases.  Spot's
proposal about update discipline seems like a pretty good start to me.

We are also under some (arguably valid) pressure to make sure that
Rawhide is more often installable and runnable within some constraints
(say, critical path).  That's separate and distinct from the No Frozen
Rawhide proposal, which simply allows developers and maintainers
somewher to put post-freeze changes that are deemed too risky,
unsuitable, or unfinished.