"What is the Fedora Project?"

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Thu Oct 15 20:21:45 UTC 2009

On 10/15/2009 01:42 PM, Peter Robinson wrote:
>>>  I hear about:
>>> - graphics artifacts on unblanking the display
>>> - constant wireless dropouts
>>> - odd behaviors in firefox
> I wondered why the new KDE release was actually pushed to F-11 as
> opposed to leaving the stable release train and having it in F-12. I
> didn't overly bother about it as I don't use KDE but I thought it was
> a bit strange pushing a new major desktop release to a stable release.

Not to side-step, but oh well, yeah, I'm going to in a bit.

To answer your direct question, it's a tough call, but our (kde-sig)
strong feeling that doing so provides the best of what we (both fedora
and kde) have to offer, in terms of both stability (yes!) and features.

Now for the 2-step...

Seems to me a significant amount of the "stability" concerns involve
low-level kernel/X (ie, hardcore crit path) type stuff, issues like
primarily video drivers, and to a lesser extent, suspend/resume and
wireless.  In all of these areas, Fedora currently has significant
attention and people-power working on them, including dedicated
developers, QA/testing, etc...  Despite that, if we're still
(apparently?) falling short of expectations.

Are we doomed, or can we do better somehow?

-- Rex