"What is the Fedora Project?"

Máirín Duffy mairin at linuxgrrl.com
Thu Oct 15 21:11:33 UTC 2009

On 10/15/2009 05:01 PM, Seth Vidal wrote:
> You seem to want us to care about a few loud angry people. Specifically
> the loud, angry people who have talked to you about fedora.

I'm lost, I'm not sure what you mean here :-/

>> I'm not sure I can believe in Fedora as a science lab. I'd like to
>> talk to some people who believe in that. You said yourself and Mike
>> aren't advocating for it. Who is? Are we just standing in a circle
>> beating on a poor old scarecrow?
>
> Show me how we slow down without overlapping the RHEL case up there? B/c
> I'm not real sure there's all that much room.

* Focus on stabilizing a core of packages/applications, like folks are
saying, a critical path. RHEL focuses on stabilizing a much wider
breadth in comparison.

* RHEL can not always carry the latest stable release of a given piece
of software, can it? Fedora should always carry the latest stable.
Fedora is released every 6 months. It's going to have newer versions
compared to RHEL no matter what; RHEL's major release cycle is much
slower than every 6 months and the amount of change allowed in minor
updates is limited. Fedora's package set is newer in comparison.

* Make it a priority to build tools in Fedora to make reporting the
instabilities that do make it through a complete breeze to do. Also work
on tools to make that stream of testing feedback dead easy for
maintainers to consume. Drive for a greatly-elevated amount of community
testing. Drive for the best signal-to-noise ratio on feedback so you
don't overwhelm the developers with too much noise. This doesn't slow
you down, but it makes faster speeds easier to tolerate.

Do those make sense?

Either way, the set of packages available in Fedora really trumps those
available in RHEL, and as you pointed out with that greater amount of
packages it's harder and harder to maintain stability across all. So you
don't. You pick a core to make sure are stable, but the very presence of
all the outliers differentiates Fedora as well.

~m