"What is the Fedora Project?"

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Oct 16 03:37:05 UTC 2009

On 10/15/2009 05:04 PM, Seth Vidal wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Oct 2009, Máirín Duffy wrote:
>
>> On 10/15/2009 10:40 AM, Seth Vidal wrote:
>>> And this is the crux of our problem:
>>>
>>> fedora is for latest leading-edge pkgs. It's not easy or reasonable to
>>> have the latest of things AND have a stable interface for them.
>>>
>>> So if latest software is fedora's raison d'etre then it sure seems like
>>> fedora is just not for you.
>>>
>>> how else do we set reasonable expectations?
>>
>> Apparently we were able to achieve both the latest and stability
>> several releases ago, though?
>
> Not really.
My view: Things have not been better. It's only the set of packages
which are causing troubles, which has changed.

ATM, the "troublemakers" happen to be packages which almost everybody
has installed and almost everybody uses (TB, Firefox, X11, PackageKit,
cups, pulseaudio, selinux ...).

> I have a few explanations for this:
>
> 0. I suspect there is a fair bit of nostalgic memory going on here.
> Things get better the more in the past you put them in your memory. It's
> an evolutionary advantage to not remember suffering as well. :)
Agreed, ... remember SELinux, NetworkManager, ... yum ;)

> 1. at f6 things were still 'core and extras' and core meant @redhat.com
> people only which, implicitly, meant things went slower.

Well, have a look at the packages which currently are causing "the
trouble" ... it's former "core packages", which are still being
maintained by essentially the same people, rsp. the same teams, @RH.

Ralf