"What is the Fedora Project?"

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Oct 17 01:19:00 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 15:21:45 -0500,
  Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:

> Seems to me a significant amount of the "stability" concerns involve
> low-level kernel/X (ie, hardcore crit path) type stuff, issues like
> primarily video drivers, and to a lesser extent, suspend/resume and
> wireless.  In all of these areas, Fedora currently has significant
> attention and people-power working on them, including dedicated
> developers, QA/testing, etc...  Despite that, if we're still
> (apparently?) falling short of expectations.
>
> Are we doomed, or can we do better somehow?

There is a lot of change going on in graphics driver infrastructure right
now (and for over a year). I think that this is related to why graphics
support has been so spotty in recent releases. There is light at the end
of the tunnel. I had been hoping F12 would be a really nice release for
graphics, but that will probably end up being F13 (with F12 getting fixes
along the way) for people using intel and ati devices. nouveau has some
future promise, but working 3d is probably going to be farther out than
F13 unless more resources get committed to it.