Beta packages within stable releases

Ken Chilton ken at chiltonfamily.org
Sat Oct 10 19:57:49 UTC 2009

Dear members of the Fedora Board,

I wish to encourage you to reconsider the policies regarding packages in
Fedora releases.  Currently, within Fedora 11, there are key packages
being distributed which are still in beta or otherwise unstable
condition with matching, prior stable packages available.  Fedora 11, as
best as I can tell, is not a beta or development release.

There used to be a practice in all things Linux where even-numbered
release numbers implied stable releases, where odd-numbered releases
were development tracks.  The Linux kernel follows such a scheme, with
2.4.x and 2.6.x being the (more) stable.  I am unaware that Fedora 11 is
following this scheme.  Please correct me if I am mistaken.  It also
might be nice to modify the Fedora Project web page to indicate that
release 11 is a development platform and provide clear links to Fedora 10.

Two packages of particular note and suitable as exemplars are Firefox
and Thunderbird.  These are well-known and basic to the Fedora release
for most users.  While many Linux developers produce high-quality betas
and releases, these two packages are worth special attention.

Firefox 3.5.3-1 has both a memory leak and a problem with CPU usage.
When left open for more than a day, with several tabs used, the package
steadily increases its memory consumption from a few hundred megabytes
to over 1.6 gigabytes.  The CPU consumption, on a multicore AMD machine,
has been observed to start at 40% while minimized to 100% after a few
hours on non-use.  Users of the latest versions of Firefox have found
that frequent killing of the Firefox process and restarting is required
(this is on Fedora, not Windows).  While this problem has existed to
some small degree in the past, the latest versions are actually much
worse, contrary to the Firefox developers' claims.  While the Firefox
community continues to struggle with fixes, removal of add-ins, and
other attempts to locate the source of the problems and placate their
users on all platforms, Fedora continues to adopt the latest buggy
release of the tool as it is unleashed.  It would seem prudent that
Fedora have some degree of QA concerning the packages it considers key.
A web browser is one of the features that everyone from the mere novice
to the staunch professional requires.  Fedora should select the best
browser available, and not just the most recent or the one with the most
features.  It would seem appropriate that Fedora should refuse to move
forward to newer releases of packages that move backward in quality.
Fedora Project should implement its own QA and select the stable
releases for its stable releases. This might also be of benefit to the
Firefox developers, who can spend more time chasing down the problems
Fedora has implicated, and less time trying to run and tie their
shoelaces at the same time.

Thunderbird 3 is currently undergoing many changes.  While developers
continue to add more features and new development versions are released,
those working on the coding and testing of the new features are not at
all disturbed by the frequent changes to the UI and other
characteristics of the tool.  However, those who depend on the email
facilities in Fedora are likely quite worried when Thunderbird pops up a
dire warning about using a beta package for real life.  Anyone who would
be furious when all of their email, current and filed, is lost because
the beta package did what we were told it /could/ do.  A user who
expects to take a quick check of his email and finds that the whole UI
has changed, his preferences gone, and previously admissible email now
finds a home in the junk mail abyss might be a bit perturbed by the
advent of Fedora 11.  It would seem quite reasonable that Fedora 11beta
would include beta releases, but "Fedora 11 Release" should have only
included Thunderbird 2 in the "release" repository, with Thunderbird 3
in the "testing" one.  If during the beta phase of Fedora, a package
cannot be deemed stable, it should either be excluded from Fedora or
Fedora should revert to the prior, stable version of that package.  Beta
software is not intended for production environments.  Anyone who needs
the email to work will not want to rely on a beta package.  Thunderbird
3 has become a black mark on Fedora 11 and something I hope the Fedora
Project plans never to repeat.

So, I hope this email will be received in a positive light.  I suspect
you may have already heard from many others, since this seems too big to
ignore.  I hope that we might see a change in the Fedora Project to
provide stable releases to the community while not hampering
development.  This might mean adoption of the even/odd scheme, or a more
formal QA criteria and process, or maybe just slowing down the
alpha/beta phases to allow more testing before calling it a release.  I
believe some of what has happened was in hope for the best, but in the
end there must be a right solution and that is the one that considers
the consumer.  Please remember that the consumer wants quality, not just
quantity.

Feel free to contact me if anything I have said is unclear, incomplete,
or incorrect.  Thank you for all of your hard work in making Fedora and
making it great!

Thank you,
KC