"What is the Fedora Project?"

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 23:11:00 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 03:40:15PM -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> >> A point that occurred to me that didn't make it into the conversation:
> >> If anyone needs a user case less specific than Mairin, imagine a
> >> Fedora Ambassador for instance.  Surely we don't want to say to an
> >> Ambassador, "Please contribute by promoting Fedora, but we'd rather
> >> you adjust to our way of thinking rather than us accommodating you"?
> >>

> > Why not? If you change to whatever the latest group of users wants then
> > you're not leading, you're following.
>
> And vice versa.. if you don't listen and adapt you end up behind what
> people would ever want to use. Its a conversation not a dictation
> which I think we have forgotten in our current society.

Let me try this again with some better explanation.  I think a Fedora
Ambassador -- and let's say an experienced one -- makes a good example
of someone who subscribes to our foundations and is interested in, and
in fact is currently, contributing to Fedora.  I think the decisions
we make around the distribution should not make it harder for this
Ambassador to promote or to use Fedora.  As an alternative to
personalizing the target case to Mairin Duffy -- not that she doesn't
provide a good profile -- I think a generic, experienced Fedora
Ambassador works well.