"What is the Fedora Project?"

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu Oct 22 01:17:26 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 21:00:19 -0400,
  Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> How long does it take?

I haven't done exactly that (usually for fresh installs I install more than
is on the games spin), but I think it is multiple hours. These are machines
with PATA disks and not lots of memory. So besides slow disk tranfers,
there is a lot of paging of memory. The games spin is almost 4GiB, so
just copying it off a DVD or USB stick would take more than 15 minutes.

> > How does this mesh with our no patented codecs stance? Are we going to give
> > people a prominent heads up about why that is and how to mitigate that
> > situation?
>
> If they are going to use the web browser for most tasks, mp3 codecs
> don't matter as much as flash. That is an issue. Flash is an issue no
> matter what user we choose, though, so I don't think it validates or
> invalidates the target user proposal here.

But we don't have a policy against flash though. I remember seeing that
some codecs usuable by flash stuff aren't included because of patents,
but I thought the most common codecs seen were supported. If we are going
to complain about broken stuff that in theory we can fix, please add good
3D graphics support for Intel, AIT and nVidia chips. ATI is at least another
release away from being good. The Nouveau driver is more than one release
away from being good.

The codec stuff is different in that we can't really fix it. We can just
make it easier to get them from someplace else and explain why we do that.