"What is the Fedora Project?"

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu Oct 22 04:20:24 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 23:55:48 -0400,
  "Paul W. Frields" <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think the cardinal rule we'd document for people updating is, "Run
> 'yum update foo' to get the latest foo, and be prepared to get a lot
> of other stuff in some cases.  Don't fight it, fighting makes it
> worse." ;-)

I tested this and confirmed what you said. So no worries about grabbing
something from rawhide as long as you don't use -y, so you can change
your mind if lots of stuff gets pulled in.

I usually don't try to fight things, but when doing yum upgrades with
the kitchen sink installed you can get broken deps that yum can't resolve
and then you need to try to work around it. yum does make it easier to
find the root problem packages and yum-shell gives you some nicer options
for fixing things that I haven't taken full advantage of in the past.

I really do like the proposal though. It seems to provide some of the needs
that per app branches were proposed for and provides a stabler development
system than previous rawhides were. Plus by having updates and updates-testing
for the prerelease branch, even if you follow updates-testing, if something
bad happens it will be easy to use yum downgrade in most cases to get
an earlier version that works. You don't need to paw through koji to find
a stable version. (And for things that have a lot of related packages,
you don't need to do a bunch of one off downloads.)

If this happens I'd stay on the latest prerelease track constantly with
my personal machines. It varies between machines, but I currently only
run rawhide for about half of a development cycle.