"What is the Fedora Project?"

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Wed Oct 7 04:11:41 UTC 2009

http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-board-meeting/2009-10-01/fedora-board-meeting.2009-10-01-16.03.log.html

At last week's meeting we said we would continue our discussion here.
Here I go :)

1) I'm still advocating that it is our responsibility to move things
forward and own these issues.  Are there any board members that
disagree?  Speak now or we will assume you are in agreement. :-)

2) We really need to resolve this topic that has been on the board's
agenda since January 2009.  For some of us, since we joined in July
2009.  I'm proposing that we set a hard deadline of "the end of FUDCon."
  This means that by the time we leave FUDCon the first part of December
2009, this issue will be officially closed and off our agenda until
there is a reason to revisit it and we can start 2010 with a clean
slate.  Are there any board members who would not be able to commit to
this goal?

3) I am proposing a few unanswered questions that must be answered to
bring greater clarity to why Fedora exists and what it seeks to
accomplish which will allow us to close this issue.  I'd wager that
answering these questions will require each of us to sit down and spend
some time thinking about them vs. replying in 5 minutes to this email.
Naturally we'd also love feedback from everyone on this list.

(a) Define a target audience for the Fedora distribution (or maybe
narrow the definition to "default spin")--without a clear target
audience for our product there is a lack of clarity around when we are
"done."  It also makes it difficult to make decisions about release
quality and release composition.

(b) Set some broad goals for where we want the Fedora Distirbution to
look like a few release from now--say when Fedora 15 is released.  What
should those be?

(c) Set some broad goals for where we want the Fedora Fedora Project to
look like a few release from now--say when Fedora 15 is released.  What
should those be?

(d) Set a goal of five things we believe should be improved or fixed by
the release of Fedora 13 that will make the Fedora Distribution a better
product or the Fedora Project a stronger community.  What should those
things be?

This is a great opportunity for each board member to state their
position so that the community can see where we each stand on these issues.

John