"What is the Fedora Project?"

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Thu Oct 8 16:06:48 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 10:59 AM, Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Oct 2009, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
>> Hmm true.  When the project is composed of mostly volunteers, no one
>> can really allocate manpower resources like you could in a business.
>> [...]
>> Hopefully the board would be able to persuade
>> developers that the board's vision is the correct one and would then
>> work together with everyone else to accomplish that vision.
>
> the developers work for their manager. Ie: I work for Tom. So Does Mike and
> a lot of folks on the fedora team. But the desktop team developers work for
> Jonathan. So a different set of people in charge.
>
> The board has no hiearchical control over either Tom or Jonathan so
> directing them to direct their people to do something or to NOT do something
> is not within the purview of the board as I understand it.

Yes, that's true for the people that work for Red Hat.  Just as it's
true for the people that work for other companies (e.g. Matt Domsch
who works for Dell).  The fact that a few Red Hat employees are paid
by Red Hat to work on Fedora shouldn't make a difference ultimately.
It's the job of the Fedora Board to convince individual developers (or
those developer's managers) that the board has a vision worth working
on.

--
Jeff Ollie