"What is the Fedora Project?"

Dimitris Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Thu Oct 8 17:35:48 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 8:22 PM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Oct 2009, Dimitris Glezos wrote:
>>
>> I'd encourage people who would like to see Fedora go to a different
>> direction to actually COME UP WITH A PLAN for it, and start
>> implementing it. They'll have my full support, in all levels. In this
>> sense, I disagree with folks who draw lines saying "we shouldn't do
>> this" -- and I've expressed this opinion in all levels too. We should
>> encourage people to try different things and CHANGE the Fedora goals.
>> If the community follows, the Board will follow, because it's an organ
>> by and for the Community.
>>

> So in Infrastructure, should we be focusing on the search engine so new
> inexperienced users can more easily find answers to questions through our
> various docs via keywords and things we define?
>
> Or should I be focusing on being first to support IPv6 and implementing
> dnssec for our advanced users.
>
> Sure, they might both get done eventually.  But the amount of need does
> not equal our ability to do.  So I have to pick.  Except that I don't know
> who I'm picking for.

I really believe you do have enough feedback to judge. You do know
that, if we publicize Search, it'll be ultra useful for users.

If you want to know what users want, take a look at fedoraforum, or
any other place where users hang around. Or just ask. Like Ubuntu
does. Just don't expect volunteer contributors to follow. They'll
scratch their own itch, as always. And that's good. =)

-d

--
Dimitris Glezos