Fedora 14 (two releases away folks) Feature proposal

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 8 19:05:09 UTC 2009

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009, Jon Stanley wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 2:33 PM, Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>
>> thoughts?
>
> I would think that if we're going to change, it'd have to be KDE, as
> Xfce doesn't have the broad support that our users need (I use Xfce
> every day, and if it were my first exposure to Fedora I'd think it
> was....lacking.  But that's the intention of Xfce).
>
> The argument against KDE is the same as it always has been - we are,
> as unfortunate to some as it may be, a GNOME focused shop.  A lot of
> upstream GNOME development occurs inside the walls of RHT (not saying
> that should be a driving focus of where Fedora goes, read on...),
> whereas not a lot of KDE development does. Fedora is the natural place
> to showcase these features, and a lot of them are not as well
> integrated into KDE as they could be. Not judging here, just stating
> objective, provable facts.

Even more the point, of course: No one is saying there won't be a gnome
desktop spin. Just that the default spin would be something else.

our gnome developers don't stop what they are doing. Their work is not
lost or mitigated anymore than someone working on xfce or lxde is hurt b/c
the xfce or lxde spin is not the default.

-sv