"What is the Fedora Project?"

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Thu Oct 8 19:07:11 UTC 2009

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009, Máirín Duffy wrote:

> On 10/08/2009 02:38 PM, Mike McGrath wrote:
> > I'm in the view we cannot please everyone all the time.  My experiences on
> > this earth have lead me to believe that is impossible without an infinite
> > amount of resources.  So we have to pick otherwise we have the mob rule we
> > have now.  You're right, our software isn't designed for non-technical
> > folks.  The question is, should it be?
> >
> > Where we're left is no hope of building a prius.  The larger tires and
> > roll cage being designed by some engineers just won't work with the
> > smaller more gas efficient engine our other engineers are designing.
>
> If we focus on highly-technical users, which is a totally valid path, can we
> achieve our goals as a project?

Well, if our mission (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Overview#Our_Mission)
is:

Striving to lead not follow.

Seeks to create, improve, and spread free/libre code and content

Succeed through shared action on the part of the community.

All of that stuff, to me, sounds like things my wife has no interest in
but stuff experienced users would be very interested in.  With those
experienced users I'd expect we can accomplish each of those mission
goals.

Inexperienced users would seem to distract us from those mission goals.

	-Mike