Fedora 14 (two releases away folks) Feature proposal

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 21:25:14 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 04:23:25PM -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> > > What a great idea. Lets also switch to zypper for that release. The yum
> > > developers can just keep doing whatever they are doing...
> > >
> > > Deal ?
> >
> > I suggested the desktop spin default change b/c it already exists. No code
> > has to be modified to go from the gnome livecd being presented to the kde
> > livecd being presented as default.
>
> PackageKit has a zypper backend, and the Davids original live cd work
> installed without anaconda being involved. If we are serious about this,
> replacing yum by F14 should be very doable. As you said, things should
> be interchangeable.

Actually, the only place where Seth mentions interchangable in this thread
is:
"""
Changing things which _should_ be interchangeable frequently points up all
the ways they are not _really_ interchangeable.
"""
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2009-October/msg00090.html

So there's an unspoken assumption "Since the board  defines which spin is
the default spin", that either spins should be interchangable or at least
some of them should be interchangable.  Perhaps that isn't correct?  I can't
recall a statement by the board to that effect although I do recall
individual board members saying that you should be able to trade out the
fedora desktop spin for the kde spin even though we don't.

zypper vs yum, OTOH, I don't even have a recollection of a board member
saying as themselves that the package managers in Fedora should be
interchangable.  If that is the case, we should have a list of the features
that we must make sure that each package manager supports and start testing
them.  I remember multilib was a problem for some package managers and file
dependencies a problem for others in the past.  We'll need to get each of
the supported package managers up to snuff if we really have a goal of
making our package management interchangable.

-Toshio