"What is the Fedora Project?"

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Mon Oct 12 08:48:30 UTC 2009

On 10/09/2009 05:55 PM, Mike McGrath wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Oct 2009, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
>

>> A bit late to this thread -- my apologies.  Here's what I believe, and forgive
>> me if it's too fuzzy and meta.
>>
>> I believe that the Fedora leadership should stake out positions that they
>> believe to be correct, and should work to mobilize resources that move us in
>> those directions.  That's what leadership is for, and that should be the
>> primary mission of the Board.
>>
>> I also believe, however, that the Board must guarantee the freedom for
>> dissenting community members to move in their own directions.  Fedora's
>> governance was built to ensure precisely this freedom.  The Board is empowered
>> to bless the "Foo Project", but any Fedora contributor is free to form the
>> "Anti-Foo SIG," even if the goal of that SIG is to prove, through their
>> constructive actions, that the direction of the "Foo Project" is wrong.
>>
>> It concerns me that we seem to be taking a tone that encourages us to exclude
>> people, as though it is strictly necessary to tell people "we don't care about
>> that, go away".  It is not necessary to do this. Rather, I believe that we
>> should say "we care primarily about *this*, and so we will focus on it, but we
>> understand that you care primarily about *that*, and we welcome your attempts
>> to make *that* happen as well."
>>

> I don't think anyone has said or implied that anyone will be telling
> someone else to leave the project, in fact I'm pretty sure any comment on
> that topic has been firmly against that.

Maybe not in this topic, but you can see where "we don't care about
that, go away" in some recent discussion(s) describes the attitude of
some more accurately, then would "we care primarily about *this*, (..)
but we understand that you care primarily about *that*, and we welcome
your attempts to make *that* happen as well".

I think gdk intended to say "go away" more in a sense of "get *that* out
of our sight" then to say "leave the project now".

-- Jeroen