Desktop Proposal

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Oct 12 15:32:03 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-12 at 09:06 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> Have FESCo, Release Engineering and the Packaging Committee examine the
> possibility of an additional repo that is not enabled by default for
> rawhide and general releases. This repo would contain newer and not yet
> proven versions, especially those considered to be a common use package.
> I'd consider these things like web browsers, email clients, window
> managers, etc.  This repo would function similar to the old extras repo
> did but possibly allowing overriding of packages in the core repositories
> allowing for smooth upgrade paths.

This is already part of the proposal for no frozen rawhide.  There will
be a rawhide-testing that proposed changes go into, managed by bodhi,
and may not ever get pushed to rawhide itself.

As to when this repo will open remains an open question.  as having it
there all the time and requiring maintainers use bodhi for rawhide
always may cause a revolt, but using it from feature freeze on may be
too late.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!