Fedora 14 (two releases away folks) Feature proposal

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Mon Oct 12 16:20:26 UTC 2009

Rex Dieter (rdieter at math.unl.edu) said:
> > I think performing an experiment that switches all the defaults,
> > invalidates the docs, walkthroughs, etc. and associated community
> > knowledge is a *really bad idea* ...
>
> I consider it an important and valuable opportunity, to clarify,
> improve, and expand upon all those things you mentioned, but color me a
> glass-half-full kind of guy.

The various different desktops do have different design goals and
use cases; pretending otherwise is folly. If we decide that the use
cases and users we want to target are better served by a particular
desktop, then we *should* switch the default, and concentrate our resources
there to put our best foot forward by default. But without making that
decision, switching the defaults arbitrarily seems pointless and
harmful to me. The tone of the suggestion seemed to be 'let's change
the default, to prove that we can and our process works'. Is the 'process'
really the goal here? I don't think it should be. Our goal should be
producing useful software for our users; w ithout users, we're just an
experiment.

Bill